School Maintenance Person (can be offered as Apprenticeship in Property Maintenance)Links in this section
Reporting to the Estate Manager, the Maintenance Person will be responsible for:
- Completing day-to-day reactive and larger planned maintenance tasks in relation to buildings and premises.
- Supporting the Estate Manager to ensure compliance with health & safety legislation.
- Completion of other ad-hoc tasks to support the running of the school as required.
- Liaise with Estate Manager and other key members of staff, Headmaster, Matrons, Housekeeping Supervisor etc to identify maintenance issues and action as appropriate
- Together with other members of the maintenance team and/or outside contractors complete larger school maintenance, decorating and improvement projects.
Health & Safety
- Contributing to and ensuring compliance with the site and buildings aspects of the school’s health & safety plan.
- Completion of regular health and safety checks to ensure compliance with current legislation: gas checks, legionella testing, fire alarm testing, fire safety equipment checks, PAT testing etc.
- Responding appropriately to emergencies or urgent issues as they arise.
- Ensuring that the site is kept secure: locking doors, windows and gates as appropriate and remaining vigilant at all times.
- The gutters, drain pipes, rainwater gullies and grease traps are kept clear and where necessary that they have arranged for contractors to carry out the work
- The thermostat setting and the operation of the boilers/heating plant /sub-station have been checked
- All boundary gates and fences are checked
- All areas are kept free from rubbish, debris, etc., including car parks, playing fields and driveways
- All rubbish and recycling is collected from the site and all outdoor rubbish bins are emptied
- In winter, ensure that main entrance and paths are clear of ice and snow and applying grit and salt as necessary
- As required, liaise with staff, suppliers and contractors on site related issues and attending to contractors working on site
- Taking meter readings
- Assisting with manual tasks which support classroom and workshop activities (within the post holder’s experience and training)
- Support the Estate Manager with management of school vehicles: leases, maintenance etc
- Undertaking minibus driving duties, subject to possessing the necessary license under the direction of Headteacher or Estate Manager
- Moving furniture, within the capabilities of the post holder
- Incinerating refuse where specifically requested
- Monitoring the condition of the buildings and grounds, report defects and make recommendations for action
- Such other duties as may be required
Key Skills and Experience
- Strong people skills
- Ability to prioritise
- Knowledge of current regulations eg H&S, COSHH
- Communication skills
- Experience of maintaining and repairing buildings
- Current UK driving licence
- Ability to be flexible, honest and reliable
Conditions of Employment
- Staff are expected to dress tidily and appropriately for the role. In particular, safety shoes are required.
- The school is a non-smoking site; there is a single designated smoking area
- The working day includes 2 breaks of 30 minutes to be taken at a time agreed with the Estate Manager
- All leave is to be agreed, in advance with the Estate Manager
Salary: Dependant on experience
Hours of work: 8:30am – 4:00pm Mon- Fri
Holiday entitlement: 5 weeks per annum plus bank holidays*
*except where a bank holiday falls on a day when the school is open
Employment may be offered as an Apprenticeship in Property Maintenance to the right candidate. This would involve working towards a City & Guilds Level 2 qualification in Property Maintenance.
For further details contact Rob Westerman, Estate Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07557 380663.