School GardenerLinks in this section
Reporting to the Estates Manager, the Gardener will be responsible for:
- Establishing and maintaining the school gardens, using a combination of gardening and landscaping skills.
- Supporting the Estates Manager and two groundsmen with the general maintenance of all the school grounds.
Your primary tasks will be:
- Garden maintenance tasks such as; pruning, dead heading, trimming, shrub maintenance; planting, weeding and mulching beds and borders in accordance with good horticultural practice and garden design requirements
- Grass cutting and strimming
- Spraying application and maintaining records where appropriate
- Use of mowers, hedge cutters and leaf blowers
- Contribute towards the planning and designing of new areas, including estimating and purchasing of plants.
- Use and care of all hand tools; cleaning of all machinery after use.
- Controlling of yearly plant budgets
Your secondary tasks will be:
- Working with the boys in Gardening Club on Thursday afternoons
- Upkeep of paths including snow clearing and salting
- Sweeping and tidying of paths and hard surfaces
- Maintaining Ludgrove drive and other grounds throughout the year
- Occasional help with special events, such as car parking
- Undertaking general machinery maintenance (strimmers and mowers) when required
- Assisting with the upkeep and maintenance of the wooded areas, including basic tree maintenance
- Any other duties and responsibilities as may be reasonably requested by either the Estates Manager or Headmaster
Qualifications, key skills and experience:
- Possess a relevant Horticultural qualification, such as National Diploma or NVQ and PA1/PA6 Spraying certificates
- Proven experience of gardening work, ideally within a school environment or similar
- Good plant knowledge and understanding of correct horticultural practice
- Good practical skills in garden maintenance
- Enjoy working in an outdoor environment
- Self-motivated, reliable, enthusiastic and outgoing; an ability to work both as part of a team and independently
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of Health & Safety rules and requirements, actively contributing towards the safe use, storage and maintenance of vehicles, machinery and equipment used by the grounds team
- You will be able to plan, organise and prioritise effectively and cope under pressure and set high standards
- Full driving licence
- You should be willing to work occasionally out of hours and at weekends
Conditions of Employment:
- All members of staff are expected to dress tidily and appropriately for the role in the compulsory uniform. In particular, safety shoes are required.
- The school is a non-smoking site; there is a single designated smoking area
- The working day includes one 60 minute unpaid lunch break
- All leave is to be agreed, in advance, with the Estates Manager
Salary: Competitive salary, dependant on experience
Hours of work: 32.5 hours per week; 8.30am – 4.00pm with 1hr lunch break
Mon-Fri, summer (Apr-Oct) and Mon-Thurs, winter (Nov – Mar)
Holiday entitlement: 30 days including Bank Holidays*
*except where a bank holiday falls on a day when the school is open
Application closing date 21st February. For further details contact Malcolm Heppolette, Estate Manager, email@example.com or call 0118 9789881.